Translate

Friday, August 18, 2006

The Envelope has been Pushed

Musicians, namely Madonna, have been pushing the envelope for years. From orgasms on stage to having sex with a black Jesus - Hell, back in the day, Elvis' swinging hips fueled controversy. If you give an extrovert the stage, you've given them the world. So it's not surprising to hear of above-mentioned Madonna, performing more upsetting acts on stage.

Last week, she staged a mock crucifixion of herself in Rome.
A mock crucifixion?...

Obviously, Madonna wants attention because I don't know why anyone would do that...does Madonna have a new song about the crucifixion? Last time I knew, her material was shit, unless she is reverting to the classics, if you can bare to call them that. Does she think she's Jesus? If anything, she's a has-been.

But the big story is her repeating the stunt in her upcoming Duesseldorf, Germany concert on Sunday. German prosecutors are threatening to monitor Madonna's weekend concert in Duesseldorf, and if she's dumb enough to pull that stunt again, it's time behind bars for the material girl.

The crucifixion scene, which stirred uproar from religious leaders in Rome earlier this month, features the pop star performing on a mirrored cross, with her hands and feet bound, and drew an estimated 70,000 fans.

I'm kind of curious as to what Madonna, I mean, Mrs. Louise Ciccone-Ritchie because honestly, Madonna, I could care less what you called yourself. Prince/The Performer formally known as Prince/(insert 'Prince' symbol), or Roger Nelson, as was his birth name, pulled the same crap. I have to commend Prince though, for his work with "The Revolution," but I've never been a Madonna fan, so to commend any type of her work, might be considered 'blasphemy' in my book. As I was saying, I'm kind of curious as to what Mrs. Ciccone-Ritchie said to her publicist/manager/ and/or production crew on her Confessions tour, when she first thought up the scheme. (insert faked British accent, or is she doing that still?) "I had a vision last night; something prolific, something existential - of myself as Jesus Christ. As we are performing in Rome, the second motherland of the people, I would like to stage a crucifixion scene during my song...I don't know, we've done a lot for "Like a Prayer" - that comes off as an overkill. I was thinking the scene would be perfect during, "I love New York"...

The fact is, I don't know which song she chose to taint with the stunt. I do know, though, that pushing the envelope is not always an artist's best interest, especially if, by pushing that envelope every single time, push comes to shove. It was tasteless, and for 48, Mrs. Ciccone-Ritchie, you have a lot of growing up to do.

No comments: