Translate

Friday, May 21, 2010

I'm an Angry Old Man

I'm going to clarify something because in my last post I mentioned gardening, and how it's becoming a fad and not so much something you do as a hobby -- maybe your parents or somewhere down the line, a relative, convinced you to pursue gardening -- and it stuck. Whatever the reason, you like gardening because it's now a tradition and invokes lovely memories of your childhood with a favorite aunt or grandparent. That's sweet. Whatever it may be, you were raised on appreciating gardening.

Other things to consider before I move on. What is the difference between a fad and a hobby? A
hobby is either an activity or an interest for the purpose of pleasure (HAPPINESS) or relaxation (TRANQUILITY) seemingly executed while a person wastes time. Truth be told, whenever you think, "I have nothing to do Saturday, I'll build a model ship," you are wasting time. Let me sneak in the definition of a fad, and then I'll come back to the topic of time. A fad is a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal. Why gardening is not a trend? A trend is a movement. When there's a trend, there's a tendency to want to do it. A fad is an interest. You are interested in gardening, interested in learning to garden. Know the difference.

Wasting time is not a negative thing. I go to work to waste time, I eat lunch wasting time nourishing my body, I wash the bird shit off my car wasting time; wasting time meaning I bust into Time's home with a big gun while he's doing a fat line off the belly of a floozy and fondling a coked out, toothless, topless whore's sagging tits next to him, just a laughin' it up, and I waste that junkie. Time doesn't take what you do with it into consideration, every expired second is past-tense, so what you consider to do with time is irrelevant. And further more, our notion that what we see as time, actual time, is meaningless. We like to think we know time.

Now I might have just spoiled my opinion that gardening as a fad is a joke. If you have a spark of interest to do something, that's pure involvement. I say it's a fad like this new garage sale clothing fashion within the female culture. All this loose, cheap material for clothes that's not durable, that's a fad. You look like you just stepped out of the 70's. Clothes aren't designed to last anymore.

You're supposed to wear the item of clothing maybe a few times, and then go out and buy more shit, all made from cheap in quality distributors who make a killing buying cheap and selling loads more for a lot more. There's an example of a trend. This is the new thing because it works, we'll buy it regardless.

Fad deranged people will go out in their thin as tissue paper clothes that they've layered to match the other crap they wear, with their retro handbags, and they'll go out to Lowe's with a wikipedia intelligence on how to keep a potted plant alive, and buy more flowers than they know what to do with. They might live in a house or apartment with a terrace. If house, they've cleared ground for planting. Perhaps they have even gone as far as to ask the landlord if it's alright to grow some shit out on the roof of the apartment building, and since their apartment is next to the roof exit, they can go up there freely with a corner of the roof devoted to their plants. The reason why this notion is so appealing is they've seen a representation of such a venture and it strikes them that, "This is what I need in my life, let's make it happen." Gardening is a fad to these people because usually if they can't get it to work more than once, they abandon the notion all together. Right, to save money they spent on plants or seeds. Right. They don't have a green thumb. Right, right! Green thumb.

Are you positive you want to consume whatever it is you're growing in a cluttered and smog environment like, let's say an apartment complex rooftop in the heart of New York City? We're talking all the hazardous emissions from cars and automobiles all around you going into your food, how is it that your plants and vegetables aren't misshaped and not a natural color as the depiction on the packet of seeds? Instead of red ripe tomatoes, you get sickly yellow with dark tarnish spots on the skin tomatoes, that taste like an exhaust pipe. All speculation.

If you can't grow your stuff in a safe, clean environment, maybe you shouldn't be gardening. Yeah, tell that to those who treat gardening like it's a fad. Something they've picked up for god knows what reason, just to do it because everyone else is. And get this, I hate to garden. My reasoning because I have to get out in the sun, a big ball of hot in the sky that usually burns the shit out of me. Fuck putting on sun screen all the time, I've already got terribly bad oily skin, you don't have to go outside all the time, especially when it's way too fucking hot, I'll keep my white ass indoors thank you. But sure, for those who can't sit indoors to sit and relax or do something indoorsy you always have to be doing something because life as you know it is absentminded calamity, let's do this, now that, hey I've got an idea before you can enjoy what we were doing not twenty minutes ago...fuckin ssssllllllooooooooowwwww dddddddooooowwwwwwwnnnnnnnn. Not everything needs done right now at this second. You probably have way too much going on as it is.

Recap: if a garden has been a prospect of yours since before you owned your home, break some ground and grow some shit. If you sit around thinking up new ideas in order to stay in the loop and one is, "You can pretty much garden anywhere, why not outside on the terrace," or, "I'll ask Mr. Feefer when he wakes up at 3 p.m. if I can go on the roof to start an urban garden," you're a tool. I'm sure you loved Taylor Swift, then hated Taylor Swift for whatever reason someone else told you to hate her.

Most people with successful gardens have learned to do it right, and by learning from someone else, they have learned the trade and are good gardeners. They didn't just one day think an urban garden was cute, or read about a society of people who are die hard gardeners, and they just decided to plant some shit. Put some thought behind what you are doing.

No comments: