Translate

Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Unmistakenable Nonsense

I was recently watching a movie with David Cross* in it (*Mr. Show, Scary Movie 2) and something odd struck me about it at the ending, where the movie flips to a fuzzy, no-signal screen, and the movie ends. Within the fuzziness of that scene, I clearly share the image of a woman and a man kissing. The first thing I thought was, "Nah. I didn't just see that..." and then it dawned on me. My mind automatically thought of kissing someone. I witnessed a subliminal message in the media. This wasn't like noticing the 'boom mic' in a movie, many times over like I did in the movie "The Break-Up". These people had secretly placed a subliminal message within the context of their film; I felt raped. Now I don't trust the media because what if subliminal messages are already being fed to us through our own television? While thinking this, I suspected another group of people of doing such things; auto-racers. Nascar racing, to me, feels hypnotic! Picture it - a couple dozen cars, different colors, repeatedly driving around a track, and you are following your favorite racer's car with your eyes, continuously around said race track - that seems hypnotic. Then, every five minutes is a beer commercial, and a commercial for a new movie or movie release - a complete life of comsumption. And you ask why the majority of Nascar fans are below the poverty line!

No comments: